- Photo by Mads Pihl - Visit Greenland
Greenland - Winter
This journey allows you to experience a bite of the best Greenland has to offer in a relatively short time. We will fly you out to Ilulissat, the capital of icebergs, where big impressions and experiences await you - sailing among icebergs, dog sled tour and the magical northern lights. Not all experiences take place outdoors though; also the choice of hotel – with its exceptional location, spectacular view and the opportunity to indulge yourself in the hotel restaurant – makes the basis for a unique extended weekend.
- START DAY: Friday from Copenhagen
- SEASON: Departure dates in 2019: February 1st, 8th, 15th and 22nd. March 1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd and 29th
- FLIGHT FROM: Copenhagen/Kangerlussuaq/Ilulissat/Copenhagen (incl. in the price)
Program: Individual tour to Greenland 5 days / 4 nights
Friday - Arrival Ilulissat, briefing and tour of the town
Departure from Copenhagen in the morning and after approximately 4.5 hours' flight you set foot on the world's largest island. Following a brief stop in Kangerlussuaq, we continue toward Ilulissat on a smaller plane. It is a beautiful 45-minute flight, which allows you to take in the magnificent icy landscape, the barren wilderness and the magnitude. During our approach to Ilulissat, the town will seemingly appear in the middle of nothing. The coloured houses are in stark contrast to the snow-clad mountains, and at the bump of the Dash plane touching down, you can look forward to the next days of ice, winter and dog sledding – combined with cultural elements from a highly traditional Greenlandic town.
The bus of Hotel Arctic will pick you up at the airport, and you will check in at the wonderfully situated four-star hotel. Here you will meet a guide from the local excursion office, who will brief you about the city, the area and dining possibilities.
- Today´s excursion is a guided tour of the town.
You will learn about the history of the city and experience its many interesting aspects; one of which being the many ever-present sled dogs that live here. Most of the dogs stay outside of the city in a large kennel if they are not roaming the terrain.
In the evening, a wonderful welcome dinner is served at the hotel allowing your taste buds to get acquainted with a tasteful bite of Greenland.
Saturday - Sailing among icebergs and northern lights safari
The Disco Bay is one of Greenland's most popular tourist destinations. Primarily because of the ice, but also due to the beauty of the place, the many cultural attractions and the interaction between traditional way of life and modern town life. Today you will enjoy 2 excursions.
- Sailing among icebergs
- Almost every visitor in Ilulissat choose to try this boat trip among the icebergs at least once. Every day, more than 40 million ton of ice flow out into the fjord. The floating icebergs are gigantic, sometimes measuring more than 100 metres wide and long – and with a height of more than 100 metres above the water surface as well. These giants gather at the end of the fjord providing you with a great opportunity to sail among them. You should not miss out on this exceptional experience when visiting Ilulissat.
- Northern lights hike
- When the sky is clear on winter nights you can see the most beautiful Northern Lights over Ilulissat. Aurora Borealis is without a doubt the night sky's most spectacular phenomenon. We are going to drive away from the lights of the town and go to where the darkness is most intense. The guide will tell us all about the causes of the phenomenon. You will also get tips and tricks to enable you to take the best pictures of the colored lights as they cross the night sky. The trip lasts 90 minutes and coffee and tea is served.
Photo by Paul Zizka - Visit Greenland
Sunday - 2-hour dog sled ride
The estuary of the Ice Fjord is an impressive sight – be it summer or winter.
- The trip will take you through a rolling mountain terrain and you get to experience the dogs both in front of and behind the sled where they work as a brake when riding down a steep slope.
The dog sled is one the strongest icons of Greenland and a thousand-year old tradition for the Inuit. Not that many means of transportation have functioned for a period this long without changing appearance or technology: Apack of happy dogs in harnesses tied to a simple wood sled. The experience cannot be explained – you have to try it for yourself. During the ride, we take in the view of the large glacier, and we glide across the sea ice allowing you to experience riding a sled between the icebergs.
Monday - Explore the town on your own
Use the final day to experience the atmosphere and life in the town, go back in time and feel a sense of history at the cosy museum established in Knud Rasmussen's parental home. The fishermen at 'Brættet', the local marketplace, provide you with an impression of the interesting food products of Greenland – they do not come any fresher than this.
The restaurants in Ilulissat invite you on a journey through local specialities such as Greenlandic sushi, deep-fried ammasats (small salmonids), whale and seal – and in the cafés, freshly-baked cakes will tempt everyone with a sweet tooth. This is indeed a journey that will put all your senses to work.
And, gazing across the Ice Fjord will never get tiresome, by the way.
Tuesday - Home journey
After an intense extended weekend, it is time to say your goodbyes to Ilulissat and Greenland, who are likely to have made quite an impression on you that will spark a special feeling and flash a series of indelible mental images whenever you hear the word Greenland mentioned in the future.
Departure from Ilulissat via Kangerlussuaq, arriving in Copenhagen by evening.