Hiking in the Faroe Islands with a guide
The Faroese untamed nature is a paradise for nature lovers and is well suited for a hike in the mountains. Feel the wind in your hair, see colourful villages, grazing sheep, green mountains, fascinating fog and the nearby islands, which rise majestically on the horizon. In this program, you hike with local guide on old village paths, and have the opportunity to enjoy parts of the trip on your own by car.
- TRAVEL: Friday to Friday (other days on request) - 8 days | 7 nights
- SEASON: June, July and August 2023
- DIRECT FLIGHT FROM: Copenhagen (incl. in the price)
Itinerary: Active - Fly and Drive
FRIDAY: Arrival to the Faroe Islands. Visit Gásadalur and enjoy the fresh air
Arrival with Atlantic Airways. Pick up rental car at the airport.
Take the short drive to the village of Gásadalur, which was the last village connected to the rest of the islands by tunnel. Enjoy the quiet and stunning view of Tindhólm. Spend the night in the Northern islands.
SATURDAY: Hiking from the village in Svínoy
With ferry from Viðoy to Svínoy. A beautiful hike. The hike starts in the village and we walk out to the headland called Dragin, where the English used to have an outpost during the war. There is also a bird fowling seat at Dragin, which will be pointed out to you during the walk.
Among the birds it is expected to see or hear whimbrels, European golden plovers, arctic skuas, arctic terns, common eiders, meadow pipits, greylags, and several species of gulls. Spend the night in the Northern islands.
- Hike is easy to moderate 2–5 km in uneven terrain. Approx. 4 hours
SUNDAY: The southernmost island of Suðuroy - Basalt columns and amazing viewpoints
Drive to Tórshavn to catch the ferry, Smyril, to Suðuroy before noon. After check-in, we suggest a walk on your own to the village of Froðba. Here you can see basalt columns along the road. When you see the sign, Kúlugjógv, walk down to see more spectacular basalt rock formations.
Above Froðba stands Frobiarnípa. Follow the dirt road to get to the top of the cliff. Here are some old buildings from the war and there is a fantastic view. If there is time, drive to the village of Vágur to experience another fabulous viewpoint at Eggjarnar. From the village, you can either drive or walk up to the viewpoint. Spend the night on Suðuroy.
Picture: Hiking to Hvannhagi
MONDAY: Hike to beautiful Hvannhagi on Suðuroy
Because of its location, Hvannhagi has some of the most beautiful and unusual nature on Suðuroy. Together with the guide, you follow an old path across the mountain. When you reach the northern side of Suðuroy, you will have an amazing view of the nearby islands. Following a steep, narrow path, you descend to the inland lake at Hvannhagi. Return with the ferry to Tórshavn. Spend the night in Tórshavn.
- Hike is moderate to difficult 6 km in uneven terrain. Approx. 4 hours.
TUESDAY: Hiking to the centre of the Faroe Islands
The hike starts in Kaldbaksfjørður where the big river Tíggjará meets the ocean. Here you meet the guide and park the car. The guide will lead you along the river and then 346 m up the mountain, till you reach the exact centre of the Faroes.
Enjoy the beautiful view before hike continues to the lakes Stóravatn and Brúnavatn. Afterwards you walk to the old viking-village Kaldbak. Spend the night in Tórshavn.
- Hike is moderate to difficult 2-5 km in uneven terrain. Approx. 4-5 hours
WEDNESDAY: Visit the bird island Mykines
Day trip to the bird island Mykines, in the company of others. The tour starts with pick up in Tórshavn by bus and guide. From Sørvágur enjoy a grand sail by majestic sea cliffs. Spot puffins, and the impressive gannet, which only breed on the isolated isle to the west of the main island. In Mykines, you are accompanied by the guide to the lookouts, but you also have time on your own. Spend the night in Tórshavn.
- Hike is moderate to difficult in uneven terrain. Time on the island approx. 5 hours.
THURSDAY: Day on your own, but we suggest.
- Hike over the mountain and back to the cultural centre of Kirkjubøur. Enjoy the majestic view over the islands of Sandoy, Hestur, Koltur, and Vágar. After arriving in Kirkjubøur, it is possible to visit Roykstovan that is approx. 900 years old. See the ruins of the Saint Magnus Cathedral and Ólavs’ church from year 1111. Hike is easy approx. 7–14 km in uneven terrain. Approx. 2/3 to 4/5 hours.
- Vestmanna Cliffs. Boat tour to Vestmanna Cliffs with lunch and entre to the Saga Museum.
- Explore Kalsoy with public transport from Klaksvik: See the beautiful sculpture, the Seal Woman, in village of Mikladalur. Visit Trøllanes, a "location" in the James Bond movie - No Time To Die
Spend the night in Tórshavn.
FRIDAY: Departure from the Faroe Islands.
Rental car is returned at the airport. Departure with Atlantic Airways.