Hiking in the Faroe Islands with a guide
The Faroese untamed nature is a paradise for nature lovers and is well suited for a hike in the mountains. Feel the wind in your hair, see colourful villages, grazing sheep, green mountains, fascinating fog and the nearby islands, which rise majestically on the horizon. In this program, you hike with local guide on old village paths, and have the opportunity to enjoy parts of the trip on your own by car.
- TRAVEL: Thursday to Thursday (other days on request) - 8 days | 7 nights
- SEASON: June, July and August
- DIRECT FLIGHT FROM: Copenhagen (incl. in the price)
Itinerary: Active - Fly and Drive
THURSDAY: Arrival to the Faroe Islands. Visit Gásadalur and enjoy the fresh air
Arrival with Atlantic Airways. Pick up rental car at the airport.
Take the short drive to the village of Gásadalur, which was the last village connected to the rest of the islands by tunnel. Enjoy the quiet and stunning view of Tindhólm. Spend the night on Vágar.
FRIDAY: Visit the bird island Mykines
The tour starts with a grand sail by majestic sea cliffs. Spot puffins, that charming little bird with a colourful beak, or the impressive gannet, which can only breed on the isolated isle to the west of the main island. Upon arrival to the island, you meet the guide.
Back in the village, one can pop in at the local cafe. Spend the night in Klaksvík.
- Hike is easy to moderate approx. 7–8 km in uneven terrain. Approx. 3 hours.
Picture: Village of Mykines
SATURDAY: Hiking from the village in Svínoy
With ferry from Viðoy to Svínoy. A beautiful hike. The hike starts in the village and we walk out to the headland called Dragin, where the English used to have an outpost during the war. There is also a bird fowling seat at Dragin, which will be pointed out to you during the walk.
Among the birds it is expected to see or hear whimbrels, European golden plovers, arctic skuas, arctic terns, common eiders, meadow pipits, greylags, and several species of gulls. Spend the night in Klaksvík.
- Hike is easy approx. 2–5 km in uneven terrain. Approx. 4 hours
SUNDAY: Hiking to the lighthouse on Kallin
With ferry from Klaksvík to the island of Kalsoy, popularly called the Recorder, which comes because of the 12-kilometer long road that winds through four tunnels and connects the islands four villages.
In the village of Trøllanes you meet the local guide at the bus stop. The guide will walk with you to Kallin. After approximately an hour's walk you will get to the lighthouse and be rewarded by an unforgettable panoramic view. Spend the night in Eysturoy.
- Hike is easy approx. 6–10 km in uneven terrain. Approx. 3 hours.
MONDAY: Hiking to the highest mountain in the Faroe Islands – Slættaratindur
Slættaratindur (882m) is a must to hike, as it is the highest mountain in the Faroe Islands. The trip starts from the mountain pass Eiðisskarð.
When you reach the top, the view of the Faroe Islands is nothing less than spectacular - Mountain peaks surround you - an experience for life. Spend the night in Eysturoy.
- Hike is easy to moderate approx. 5–6 km in uneven terrain. Approx. 3 hours.
TUESDAY: Hiking to the centre of the Faroe Islands
The hike starts in Kaldbaksfjørður where the big river Tíggjará meets the ocean. Here you meet the guide and park the car. The guide will lead you along the river and then 346 m up the mountain, till you reach the exact centre of the Faroes.
Enjoy the beautiful view before hike continues to the lakes Stóravatn and Brúnavatn. Afterwards you walk to the old viking-village Kaldbak.
Spend the night in Tórshavn.
- Hike is moderate approx. 2-5 km in uneven terrain. Approx. 3-4 hours
WEDNESDAY: Day on your own, but we suggest.
- Hike over the mountain and back to the cultural centre of Kirkjubøur. Enjoy the majestic view over the islands of Sandoy, Hestur, Koltur, and Vágar. After arriving in Kirkjubøur, it is possible to visit Roykstovan that is approx. 900 years old. See the ruins of the Saint Magnus Cathedral and Ólavs’ church from year 1111. Hike is easy approx. 7–14 km in uneven terrain. Approx. 2/3 to 4/5 hours.
- Vestmanna Cliffs. Boat tour to Vestmanna Cliffs with lunch and entre to the Saga Museum.
Spend the night in Tórshavn.
THURSDAY: Departure from the Faroe Islands.
Rental car is returned at the airport. Departure with Atlantic Airways.